GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR DUAL CITIZENSHIP
A person applying for dual citizenship shall, before being registered, satisfy the board that:
- a) He or she is not engaged in espionage against Uganda;
b) He or she has not served in the voluntary service of the armed forces or security forces of a country hostile to or at war with Uganda;
c) He or she has not attempted to acquire Ugandan citizenship by fraud, deceit or bribery or by intentional or otherwise deliberate false statements in an application for citizenship;
d) He or she does not have a criminal record;
e) The laws of his or her country of origin permit dual citizenship;
f) He or she is, at the time of application, of or above 18 years of age;
g) He or she is of sound mind;
h) Does not hold more than one citizenship;
i) Is not an undischarged bankrupt or insolvent.
OFFICES OF STATE WHICH A PERSON HOLDING DUAL CITIZENSHIP IS NOT QUALIFIED TO HOLD
2. Vice President
3. Prime Minister
4. Cabinet Minister and other Ministers
5. The Inspector General and the Deputy Inspector General of Government
6. Technical Head of the Armed Forces
7. Technical Heads of Branches of the Armed Forces
8. Commanding Officers of the Armed Forces Units of at least battalion strength
9. Officers responsible for heading departments responsible for records, personnel and logistics in all branches of the Armed Forces
10. Inspector General of Police and Deputy Inspector General of Police
11. Heads and Deputy Heads of national Security and Intelligence Organisations (ESO, ISO and CMI)
12. Members of the National Citizenship and Immigration Board
USE OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS BY DUAL NATIONALS
- A citizen who holds the citizenship of another country in addition to the citizenship of Uganda shall:
a) Be issued with a Ugandan passport or travel documents;
b) Be permitted to remain in Uganda without limitation if the person enters Uganda on a Ugandan passport;
c) Leave Uganda on the same passport that the person used to enter the country; and
- A citizen of Uganda who is also a citizen of any other country shall while in Uganda be subject to the laws of Uganda as any other citizen.
- A dual citizen commits an offence when a Ugandan passport is used by the person interchangeably with the passport of another country to deceive an Immigration Officer and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding one hundred currency points (equivalent to 20,000) or imprisonments not exceeding one year or both.
TERMINATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF UGANDA
For the avoidance of doubt, where by virtue of holding dual nationality granted under section 19A or 19B (of the Act), a person holds the citizenship of Uganda in addition to the citizenship of another country, the board may by order deprive that person of the citizenship of Uganda:
- a) Upon any of the grounds specified in sections 17 or 18 (of the Act); or
b) If that person acquires a third citizenship.
CONSEQUENCES OF LOSS OF UGANDAN CITIZENSHIP
- Where a person ceases to be a citizen of Uganda, he or she shall be regarded as a citizen or national of the country, of which he or she was a citizen or national before becoming a Ugandan citizen.
- Where a person ceases to be a Ugandan citizen, he or she shall cease to enjoy the rights of a Ugandan citizen except rights to property acquired legally while the person was a citizen.
- Where a person ceases to be a Ugandan citizen, he or she shall not thereby be discharged from any obligation, duty or liability in respect of any act done or committed before he or she ceased to be a citizen of Uganda.
RE-ACQUISITION OF UGANDAN CITIZENSHIP BY A UGANDAN
- A person who was a citizen of Uganda by birth and who on acquiring the citizenship of another country renounced his or her Ugandan citizenship, may apply to the board in the prescribed manner to re-acquire his or her former Ugandan citizenship.
- The board may allow a former Ugandan citizen to re-acquire his or her Ugandan citizenship if it is satisfied that the grounds for the loss of his or her Ugandan citizenship are of no adverse effect to the public order and security of Uganda.
- A person who re-acquires Ugandan citizenship under this section shall be required to take the oath of allegiance.
FORMS AND CERTIFICATES
The following forms can be got from the National Citizenship and Immigration Board, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Kampala:
- Form A: Notification of Citizenship of an Adopted Child
2. Form B: Application for Registration as a Citizen of Uganda
3. Form C: Application for registration as a Citizen of Uganda by a Married Woman
4. Form D: Application by an Alien for Naturalization as a Citizen of Uganda
5. Form E: Certificate of Naturalization as a Citizen of Uganda
6. Form F: Certificate of Registration as Citizen of Uganda
7. Form AA: Application for Dual Citizenship
8. Form BB: Certificate of Registration as a Dual Citizen
Date of Assent: 15th July 2009
Date of Commencement: 21st August 2009
The Uganda High Commission, London, will announce when it will be in position to accept applications for dual citizenship for onward transmission to the National Citizenship and Immigration Board, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Kampala.
For the time being, applicants are advised to contact the Board directly on the following address:
National Citizenship and Immigration Board,
Ministry of Internal Affairs,
Plot 75 Jinja Road,
P. O. Box 7191,